Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Virtue of Pain


You know, some people say that pain is a good thing. Because if our bodies never felt pain, we would not know we were hurt or sick. At the first sign of pain, we know something is wrong and reach for the fix whether it be to the medicine cabinet or a visit to the doctor. I have had some recent experience with pain. For the previous 4 weeks, I had a constant headache. Nothing major. On scale of one to 10, 10 being the most intense, I would say my pain was about a 3 or 4. But the constant minor pain began to wear on me physically. I had no energy and no strength. I finally called the doctor and begged for relief because nothing over the counter was working. And if I did not get relief soon, somebody was going to get hurt! ;) After 2 tries, I finally got some relief. I love those little pills. ;)
But what do we do when the pain is not physical, but emotional? What do we run to for relief? Do we confront it head on or do we drown it in food, beverage, or sleep?
Unfortunately, I am experiencing some emotional pain. My first response is to crawl back in bed and pull the cover over my head. If I could, I would just stay holed up in my house; my little peace of serenity in a world that is full of pain and people who are all to willing to inflict it. Yes, I wish I could sleep and put a damper on the constant worrying about bills; I wish my 'sweet dreams' could melt away the harsh words, and mean stares I get from a certain person; I wish the quiteness of rest would erase the constant anxiety over my fathers ill health; I wish the solitude of the night would undo the stinging slap of rejection.

But sleep doesnt really help erase the pain, it just merely post pones it. It is there when my head hits the pillow, and still there when my feet first touch the floor. Pain, my constant companion lately both physically and emotionally. I think I need a divorce!

No comments: