Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Ode to pets

Little Muffin is dead. No, it is not a pastry, but the name of one of Shelby's hermit crabs. Unfortunately, Little Muffin is no more. He died a few days ago. No, he wasn't molting, he was really dead. and my daughter is really devastated. She loved that little crab. Everyday she would give him a mist bath. He would crawl on her while she did homework. When she picked him up and talked to him, he would come out at the sound of her voice.
She has cried for days now. It doesn't help that she is also on her period. I am sure that is causing some of the emotion she is currently feeling. At this moment, she is burying her little crab. She has a real flower that she is marking his grave with.
I chuckled a little, behind her back of course. I realize their is no humor in death, but come on, it is just a crab.
But, then I began to think. What if it were my favorite cat, Baby in the ground? Would I chuckle then? Probably not. I love that cat and I would be utterly heartbroken if she died. She is my constant companion, my one comfort when I come home at night. When I am home, she is right by me. When I sleep at night, she is curled up at my back. When I am sitting, she is either in my lap or right beside me in the recliner. So, I suppose when she dies, I too will be marking her grave with flowers. and I doubt I will be doing any chuckling.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Awwww...poor Shelby. The death of a pet is always tough. I was thinking just yesterday about my wonderful cat died. So sad...
Tell Shelby I love her and I'm sorry about her crab.

One Voice of Many said...

Awww.. tell Shelby I'm sorry for her loss. When my German Shepard died (his name was Prince) one of the loan officers at work sent me flowers over him. I cried and cried .. it was awful. And I still miss Jasmine.