Sunday, October 26, 2008

Memories


This past week, my one and only child turned 17! Yes, 17. While I am very proud of her, my heart was a wee bit sad. She is a junior in high school; which means NEXT year, she will be a senior!! And just all grown up. Where has the time gone? Every year, around her birthday, I pulled out all the baby albums, and albums from her childhood. This year was no different. As I looked at her baby pictures, I was trying to recall what it actually felt like to hold her in my arms, what she smelled like after a bath, and the sound of her first laugh. As I moved on to the toddler years, you know what I remembered? The good times, not the tantrums, or the dirty house, or how funds were tight. No, I remembered her running through the house laughing. I remember her sitting in her booster seat at the table asking , "no supper tonight mommy?"(I had been cleaning all afternoon, and did not realize that the supper hour had come and gone) I remember her sitting in her room talking to dolls and telling them to be good little girls and take a nap.

As I moved through the albums, more and more memories flooded my mind. Towards the end, I began to realize that while we may not have had all the luxuries in life, and while she may not have had a father in her life, she had a pretty good child hood, and she has turned out to be a pretty good girl. Oh, we have had some rocky moments during these teen years, but overall, she is a great girl. And I am proud to call her mine.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

That's so awesome. YOU'RE so awesome! I didn't realize Shelby's birthday had come and gone already. Gosh, I feel old.
I love Shelby, she is a good girl, and a trip, too!

Autumn Orozco said...

This one made me cry. Maybe I am just really emotional today. You are a great mom. I admire how you always put Shelby first. I know it can not always be easy, but you do a wonderful job.